PRIVACY NOTICE FOR UNIVERSITY GUESTS AND VISITORS
Welcome to the University of the Visayas!
The University values your presence here. While we strive to ensure the safety and security of everyone within the campus premises, we are also committed to making sure your rights to privacy are respected. With that, we encourage you to take time to read this Privacy Notice which will tell you how we process the information we collect from or generate about you upon your entry to the campus.
What information do we collect?
Before you enter the campus premises, we may collect basic information about you by requesting you to fill out our official logbook and require you to present a proof of identity (ID) for verification purposes. We may also take note of the plate number of your vehicle and request you to present your driver’s license or any valid ID for deposit. There are also CCTV cameras installed all around the campus which records video footages especially in the University’s entry and exit points.
Why do we collect them?
The data we collect are processed primarily to ensure the security of everyone in the campus. Such data also aid us in the investigation of any reported violations of University policies and other applicable laws, and in generating statistical inferences that help us improve our services.
How do we use and retain them?
The personal data you have entrusted with us are being kept in a secure facility inside the University. A security personnel on-duty is assigned the job of maintaining the security of such facility 24/7. Security measures are also put in place to ensure that only authorized University and security personnel have access to them.
The logbooks that contain your basic personal information will be retained for a period of two (2) years from the date of collection or longer if so required by law. After such period, they will be disposed of in a manner that would preserve its confidentiality and protect your privacy. On the other hand, the CCTV footages are stored for thirty (30) days before they get automatically deleted.
Your personal data under our custody will not be shared or transferred to other persons or organizations, unless otherwise required or permitted by law.
How can you exercise your rights?
Under the Data Privacy Act of 2012, you are afforded rights regarding the processing your personal data. These include:
- Right to be informed that his personal data will be or is being processed;
- Right to reasonable access to his or her personal data being processed by the personal data controller or personal data processor;
- Right to dispute the inaccuracy or error in the personal data;
- Right to request the suspension, withdrawal, blocking, removal or destruction of personal data; and
- Right to complain and be indemnified for any damages sustained due to inaccurate, incomplete, outdated, false, unlawfully obtained or unauthorized use of personal data.
Should you wish to exercise them, or if you have any questions on matters to privacy, you may contact our University’s Data Protection Officer through:
- Phone @ (032) 255-2434/(032) 416-8226
- Email at [email protected]
- Mail at Data Privacy Office, 2nd Floor Inday Pining Building, University of the Visayas, Colon Street, Cebu City
You may also express your concerns through our Privacy Complaints, Inquiries and Suggestions via Google Forms by visiting this link: https://bit.ly/2HBDcCK