College of Arts and Sciences
The College upholds excellence in the arts and sciences tradition. Its graduates will be recognized for their highly developed critical thinking and communication skills, moral and spiritual values, intellectual integrity, democratic leadership and social awareness of the issues and concerns of the community and nation.
To achieve this vision, the UV college of Arts and Sciences commits to prepare students for the world of work by providing them with an invaluable set of employability skills, including the ability to think of themselves, the skills to communicate effectively, to write and publish researches. It likewise exposes students for community service.
The UV College of Arts and Sciences aims to produce graduates who are able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically and creatively;
- Manifest proficiency in both written and oral communication for purposes of informing, persuading and/or defending;
- Conduct researches that provide general knowledge and develop intellectual capacities by using all available resources;
- Assume leadership potentials in the community in particular and the country in general;
- Manifest involvement with the less fortunate members of the community through community service;
- Imbibe deeper appreciation of the importance and meaning of life;
- Nurture love for the arts and humanities; and
- Amplify social and ecological awareness through researches.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN PSYCHOLOGY
Graduates of AB/Bachelor of Science in Psychology must be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct psychological assessments and evaluation (psychological assessment).
- Integrate all psychological theories that are needed in making sound clinical and professional judgment.
- Apply the methods of psychological inquiry in building knowledge on local culture and context (psychological research).
- Develop capability for self reflection and independent learning in graduate education or in a professional context (independent learning)
- Perceive understanding of ethical dimensions of the use of psychological theories and methods.
- Value harmonious interpersonal relationship with colleagues, clients and others (interpersonal skills) in diverse cultural setting.
- Adhere to ethical standards and practices including rights, responsibilities and accountabilities in the psychological profession.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN BIOLOGY
Track: MEDICAL BIOLOGY, MICROBIOLOGY
Within five years after graduation, the graduates of Bachelor of Science in Biology (B.S. Biology) are able to:
- articulate the latest developments in their specific field of practice.
- effectively communicate orally and in writing using both the English/Filipino language.
- work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- demonstrate professional, social and ethical responsibility, especially in practicing intellectual property rights.
- preserve and promote Filipino historical and cultural heritage based on RA7722.
- demonstrate broad and coherent knowledge and understanding in the core areas of the statistical theory and statistical modeling.
- apply analytical, critical and problem-solving skills using the Scientific Method.
- interpret scientific data and reflect on relevant scientific and ethical issues.
- carry out basic mathematical and statistical computations and use appropriate technologies.
- communicate information, ideas problems and solutions both, orally and in writing, to other scientists, decision makers and the public.
- connect science and math to the other discipline.
- design and perform techniques and procedures following safe and responsible laboratory field practices.
- accepts and critically evaluates input from others.
- appreciates the limitations and implications of science in everyday life.
- commit to integrity of data.
- develop an in-depth understanding of the basic principles governing the science of life.
- utilize techniques/procedures relevant to laboratory or field work research settings.
- carry out basic mathematical and statistical computations use of appropriate technologies in the analysis of biological data.
- extend knowledge and critically assess current views and theories in selected areas of the biological science.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN COMMUNICATION
Track: POLITICAL COMMUNICATION
Within five years after graduation, the graduates of Bachelor of Arts in Communication (B.A. Comm.) shall have:
- defined and accessed information needs; assessed and organized information and knowledge; produced, shared and utilized information and knowledge;
- competency of communicating in different formats and platforms (print, broadcast and online);
- prepared communication and/or media plan; developed and produced communication materials in different formats and platforms;
- conducted communication and media research and evaluation;
- demonstrated communication management and leadership skill and developed entrepreneurial skills;
- adhered to ethical standards and practices including rights, responsibilities and accountabilities in the communication profession; and
- applied communication theories, model, principles, practices an tools in development work.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Track: ENGLISH ACROSS THE PROFESSIONS
Within five years after graduation, the graduates of Bachelor of Arts in English Language (B.A. EL) are able to:
- articulate a comprehensive and contextualized view of the English language system and development;
- communicate in English (both oral and written) fluently, accurately, and creatively in diverse social, cultural, academic, and professional settings;
- speak and write fluently, accurately and creatively in English, and read and explain various kinds of texts based on factual evidence;
- facilitate English language learning in diverse social, cultural, academic, and professional settings;
- teach English communication skills using knowledge of best practices;
- participate effectively in oral communication situations where language systems (phonological, morphological, syntactic, semantic vary; and
- produce well-written texts for various academic and professional purposes.
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN LITERATURE
Track: LITERATURE & CULTURAL STUDIES
Within five years after graduation, the graduates of Bachelor of Arts in English Language (B.A. LIT) are able to:
- apply close reading, involving analysis and interpretation of a variety of texts;
- deploy critical perspectives in the analysis and interpretation of texts;
- produce a creative or critical text in one of the genres, forms or types that may be useful to Literature as a discipline as an individual or group work;
- produce written and performativity materials through creative writing training;
- categorize literary and cultural texts according to geographic areas, cultural/intercultural milieus, types, conventions, movements and historical periods;
- conduct academic researches that survey, validate, apply, and test the ideas, concepts, and theories related to literature and cultural studies; and
- with all the above-mentioned skills and competencies, plan and execute written and non-written projects for careers and undertakings anchored in the discipline of Literature in which Literature graduates are specifically considered competitive and highly qualified such as post-graduate study, research, documentation, publishing, creative work in literary genres as well as various media, education, and work in higher education institutions.
AB POLITICAL SCIENCE
After graduation, the AB Political Science students shall have:
- Traced the development of political thought and its influence on the advancement of social and political organizations
- Trained the students in the language, theories and methodologies specific to the discipline
- Exposed the students to the current developments in each of the Political Science subfields
- Equipped the students with the necessary skills for political and policy analysis and enable them to craft the necessary intervention to bring forth desired political changes
- Integrated within the students the use of ethics a moral background in public service as a core value in politics
- Acquired the ability to be adaptive and responsive to change, to be inquisitive and reflective in practice, through information literacy and autonomous, self-managed learning
- Engaged with diverse cultural and indigenous perspectives in both global and local settings